After an apprenticeship as a decorative and church painter, Anton Stankowski (German, 1906–1998) began studying in 1927 with Max Burchartz at the Folkwangschule in Essen. Stankowski’s photographic and typographic studies gained considerable attention, and he was hired as graphic designer by the prestigious Zurich Max Dalang advertising agency in 1929. Stankowski photographed objects to create ads from images and text and thus amassed an extensive picture archive. After military service and incarceration as a prisoner of war, he founded his own design studio in Stuttgart in 1951, becoming one of the most innovative designers of the postwar era. He also taught at the Hochschule für Gestaltung in Ulm and painted figurative and abstract paintings.