A photographer mostly of architecture, Georg Koppmann (German, 1842–1909) worked on commissions in Hamburg, Braunschweig, Hildesheim, Erfurt and Cologne, capturing cityscapes. In 1865 he opened his own photographic studio in Hamburg, but left the city in 1870 due to the reduced demand in photographs during the German-French war, and found work elsewhere. After the war had ended, he returned to Hamburg and continued to work in his studio, which he closed in 1895. Koppmann’s photographs of sites and streets followed the tradition of lithographs and engravings that were produced in series and could be acquired by collectors and as travel souvenirs. His photographs were later also printed on picture postcards.