From 1929 to 1930 Hajo Rose (German, 1910-1989) studied at the School of Applied Arts in Königsberg, Prussia. Immediately afterwards he went to study at the Bauhaus in Dessau and Berlin until 1933. He first completed the preliminary course with Josef Albers and attended classes taught by Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee and Joost Schmidt. Under Schmidt's tutelage he studied in the workshop for advertising, typography and printing until the summer of 1932, while simultaneously taking courses in the photography department with Walter Peterhans, with whom he continued to study after the Bauhaus had moved to Berlin. He briefly assisted László Moholy-Nagy in his Berlin studio before he went to the private Nieuwe Kunstschool (New Art School) in Amsterdam, which was headed by the former Bauhaus student Paul Citroen. He held a teaching position for advertising graphic, typography and photography at the school and stayed there until 1940. At the same time, he opened his own advertising office and worked as a photographer, exhibition designer and set designer until 1941. In 1942, Rose was conscripted for military service and was held captive as a prisoner of war, only to return to Germany in 1948. He taught commercial graphic design and typeface at the Kunsthochschule (Academy for Fine Arts) in Dresden between 1949 and 1953, and after that moved to Leipzig, where he continued his teaching.